Professor Carrier recently selected 14 of the most important articles and book chapters on the intersection of antitrust and IP for the edited volume Intellectual Property and Competition; below he has supplemented this list with some additional works. Many of these pieces are past my (arbitrary) 2000 cutoff for "classic works," so I will only add the older ones to my compiled list, but I think this post will be an excellent starting point for scholars who want to delve into this important field.
- Herbert J. Hovenkamp, The Conflict Between Antitrust and Intellectual Property Rights, in The Antitrust Enterprise: Principle and Execution 249-76 (2005).
- Richard A. Posner, Antitrust Law 245-56 (2d ed. 2001).
- Robert Pitofsky, Antitrust and Intellectual Property: Unresolved Issues at the Heart of the New Economy, 16 Berkeley Tech. L.J. 535 (2001).
- William F. Baxter, Legal Restrictions on Exploitation of the Patent Monopoly: An Economic Analysis, 76 Yale L.J. 267 (1966).
- Ward S. Bowman, Jr., Patent and Antitrust Law: A Legal and Economic Appraisal 1-14 (1973).
- Louis Kaplow, The Patent-Antitrust Intersection: A Reappraisal, 97 Harv. L. Rev. 1813 (1984).
- Michael A. Carrier, Unraveling the Patent-Antitrust Paradox, 150 U. Pa. L. Rev. 761 (2002).
Unilateral refusals to license
- Herbert Hovenkamp, Mark D. Janis and Mark A. Lemley, Unilateral Refusals to License, 2(1) J. Comp. L. & Econ. 1 (2006). [Non-paywalled version here.]
- Carl Shapiro, Navigating the Patent Thicket: Cross Licenses, Patent Pools, and Standard Setting, in 1 Innovation Policy and the Economy 1190-250 (Adam Jaffe, Joshua Lerner & Scott Stern eds., 2000).
- Robert P. Merges, Institutions for Intellectual Property Transactions: The Case of Patent Pools, in Expanding the Boundaries of Intellectual Property: Innovation Policy for the Knowledge Society, 123-66 (Rochelle Cooper Dreyfuss, Diane Leenheer Zimmermann & Harry First eds., 2001).
- Michael A. Carrier, Two Puzzles Resolved: Of The Schumpeter-Arrow Stalemate and Pharmaceutical Innovation Markets, 93 Iowa L. Rev. 393 (2008).
- Arti K. Rai, Fostering Cumulative Innovation in the Biopharmaceutical Industry: The Role of Patents and Antitrust, 16 Berkeley Tech. L.J. 813 (2001).
- Richard J. Gilbert & Steven C. Sunshine, Incorporating Dynamic Efficiency Concerns in Merger Analysis: The Use of Innovation Markets, 63 Antitrust L.J. 569 (1995).
Standard setting organizations
- Mark A. Lemley, Intellectual Property Rights and Standard Setting Organizations, 90 Calif. L. Rev. 1889 (2002).
- C. Scott Hemphill, Paying for Delay: Pharmaceutical Patent Settlement as a Regulatory Design Problem, 81 N.Y.U. L. Rev. 1553 (2006).
- C. Scott Hemphill & Mark A. Lemley, Earning Exclusivity: Generic Drug Incentives and the Hatch-Waxman Act, 77 Antitrust L.J. 947 (2011).
- Michael A. Carrier, Patent Assertion Entities: Six Actions the Antitrust Agencies Can Take, CPI Antitrust Chronicle, Jan. 2013 (2).
- Mark S. Popofsky & Michael D. Laufert, Patent Assertion Entities and Antitrust: Operating Company Patent Transfers, 12 Antitrust Source, Apr. 2013.